“Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!”
(Psalm 46:10 ESV)
In this verse from Psalm, we are clearly called to be still - but these days it's easier said than done. We have work, school, families, and a million other things to worry about. Often times we can get so caught up with the hustle and bustle of life that we put off the one thing that can truly energize us - quieting our minds, and being still in the presence of God. Here are a few steps to be free from the distractions of the world and to be in tune with the spirit.
- Schedule a time and place. Be intentional about carving out a specific time and finding a quiet place, preferably somewhere where no one can find you.
- Shut up. Quiet your mind and mouth. This is a time to be present and hear from God, not to be thinking about what you're going to have for lunch later.
- Surrender. Cast your cares. If you have any anxiety, stress, or worries - now is time to give it to God in exchange for His perfect peace.
- Quiet your mind. Quieting your mind can be difficult, especially with tons of random thoughts floating around. Pray to be free from distractions.
- Talk to God. This can be done through praise, worship, prayer, and bible reading. Seek God and He will reveal Himself to you and the most amazing way.
"We need to find God, and He cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature—trees, flowers, grass—grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence… .We need silence to be able to touch souls.” - Mother Teresa